From the ashes of the original Prometheus, the Proteus embraces a very different philosophy. In short, the Proteus is what many people wished the Prometheus had been: simpler and easier to use on the fly. The envelope filter mode is much more “funk” than “shoegaze.” The step filtering is pure random sample hold. No ultra-fine tuning required. Just tap to the beat, and Proteus does all the thinking for you.
Where the Prometheus was a mad science project run amok, the Proteus is exactly the opposite. Controls are simple, obvious, and do exactly what you expect,every time.
The low-pass filter does not cut out frequencies below the cutoff point, so the low end always stays intact.
- Bypass Switch: Turns the effect off or on.
- Tap/Mode Switch: Tapping the switch in time starts the sample/hold filter. Holding the switch down for one second switches back to envelope filter mode.
- Frequency: Filter resting point.
- Depth: Filter modulation range for both envelope follower and sample hold mode.
- 1-2-4: Step multiplier. One, two or four steps per beat (sample hold mode only)
- Bonus: Use the internal switch for a band pass filter option.
This pedal is the result of our multi-product R&D operation, Project Quasar. The design philosophy behind the Proteus was to create an “Anti-Prometheus.” Now you are probably saying to yourself, ‘Well they are both filters.’ In fact the filter circuit in Proteus is exactly the same. The design philosophy was all about user control. Options vs. ease of use. Even synth nerds can spend hours tweaking knobs and never cover everything the Prometheus can do. The Proteus is straight-to-the-point filter that anyone can figure out in a matter of seconds.
Notes about The Proteus:
- Powered by an external regulated 9VDC to 12VDC adapter with a negative center 2.1mm barrel style plug.
- Power supply is not included.
- If using a “daisy chain” power supply all other pedals MUST be negative ground.
- Current draw is less than 25mA.
- Length 2.3″ X Width 4.4″ X Height 1.0″
- Input impedance- 1M
- Output impedance- Less than 1K.
- The Proteus is hand made in Oregon.
- Die cast metal enclosures for durability.
- 3PDT switches for true bypass switching.
- Red LED indicator.
- Three-year limited warranty.